CLAT 2018 – How to Apply?
Candidates can apply for CLAT-2017 ONLINE only. Candidates are advised to read the instructions carefully before filling in the Online Application Form.
CLAT online Application Processing System (CAPS):
The candidates can do most of their interactions with CLAT through the CAPS interface provided at CLAT-2017 website. Through CAPS, a candidate can register and apply for CLAT- 2017 examination, check the status of the application, download the admit card, know the result and they can also download the result and score card. An online interface is provided for applicant’s interaction with the CLAT Office. With this
interface, an applicant can –
- • Make Registration using “Register Yourself”.
• Fill the online application form.
• Upload photograph and signature and other documents, if any, in the appropriate place
• Pay the application fee by ONLINE mode only (Net Banking/Credit Card/Debit Card
• Download Admit Card.
• Download previous year question papers. (After the payment of requisite fee of ₹ 400/-).
• View Marks and CLAT Rank.
The login to this interface is through your Registered ID and Password. The Candidates are advised to keep this information safe and not disclose it to anyone.
Information/Document Requirements before filling online Application Form
Before registering and logging in,the candidate is advised to keep the following
- • Personal information (Name, E-mail address, Mobile number, Date of Birth)
• Address for communication (including PIN Code)
• Essential Qualification details (Percentage of Marks/CGPA of Boards/ College/
• Programme in which the candidate wishes to appear (UG Course or PG Course)
• Three choices of CLAT examination cities
• Front facing Passport size clear photograph of the Candidate with clear lenses (3.5 cms x
4.5 cms) [JPG Format, size not more than 100 KB].
• Signature of candidate [JPG Format, size not more than 100 KB]
• Scanned copy of SAP Certificatein PDF/JPG/JPEG format only (if applicable)
Step-1: Registration at CAPS
A candidate who wishes to apply for CLAT-2017 examination is required to register on the CAPS website, by providing his/her name, father’s name, mother’s name, date of birth, a valid E-mail address, a working mobile number and a password. Please note that Name of the Candidate, Date of birth, Father’s name, Mother’s name, Email Address and Mobile Number (10 digits) cannot be changed at the later stage; hence they must be carefully verified and confirmed before submission. For registration, the candidate is required to follow the
• The candidateis required to click on “Register Yourself” and fill his / her name as it appears in the ID Proof. The ID proof is required to be produced at the Entrance of the Examination Venue. The Candidate is required to fill parents’ names and date of birth carefully.
• The candidate is required to fill an E-mail address which he/she uses and checks frequently, as all communications to the candidate from CLAT-2017may be sent to this E-mail address. The candidate must not use somebody else’s E-mail address and only one candidate can be registered with one E-mail address.
• The candidate should provide his/her personal mobile number because most of the communications may also be sent via SMS.
• Upon successful registration, an E-mail containing CAPS User ID and Password will be sent to the E-mail address and Mobile number provided by the candidate.
Step-2: Filling in the Application Form
After User Id and Password is received, Candidate can apply online by logging into his / her LOGIN account. A Candidate can LOGIN by clicking on “Already Registered”, and login with User ID and Password sent to him / her on the registered email ID / Mobile. Candidate is required to keep the following information ready:
- • Personal information (name, date of birth, personal mobile number, parent’s name, parent’s mobile number etc.)
• Address for Communication (including PIN code)
• Choice of CLAT Examination Cities
• Good quality front facing photograph of the Candidate with clear lenses (30 mm x 45 mm) (size not more than 100 KB, JPG/JPEG format) and Signature of the candidate (maximum 80 KB in JPG/JPEG format)
• Scanned copy of supporting document of SAP Certificate, if applicable,or any other, in PDF format only), Scribe Declaration form in case of SAP Candidates; For details, please refer to “supporting documents”)
After filling in the required information, the candidate has to upload the image files (in JPG / JPEG format) of photograph and signature, scanned copy of SAP certificate if applicable (in PDF format), Scribe Declaration form in case of SAP candidates. The CAPS website allows for saving partially filled in application form, logout and resume
filling in by logging in again. Do not SUBMIT the application until it is filled completely.
Incomplete applications shall not be considered.
The candidate can now proceed to make the application fee payment. The details of the
application fee are given below in “Payment of the Application Fee” section.
The candidate should check for the correctness of the entered information and uploaded
documents. If not satisfied, he/she can correct the entries and upload the files again. After
ensuring that there is no error in the application form and all the relevant and valid documents
are uploaded, the candidate must carefully read the declaration and accept the declaration before
submitting the application. Once the candidate submits his/her application, then no further
changes can be made to the application. After the application form is submitted, the
candidate can view the submitted details.
Any application which is incomplete in any respect and does not have the required valid
documents will be summarily rejected. The candidates must take care to fill in the details in
the application form correctly and must upload the correct and valid documents, including
signatures and photographs.
The candidates are advised to visit the ‘FAQ’ section on the CLAT-2017 Website. For any
further assistance/queries candidates can email or call CLAT-2017 helpdesk.
Step-3: Payment of the Application Fee
The details of the application fee are given below. The application fee is non-refundable.
Category Application Fee*
SC/ST Category ₹ 3,500/-
Unreserved/SAP/OBC/ any other category ₹ 4,000/-
*The application fee can be paid only through Online. Additional bank charges may apply
for the above transactions to be borne by the candidate.
Online Payment Mode:
The candidate will be able to make the payment using his/her net-banking account/debit
/credit cards or other payment options available on the payment gateway of the CLAT
2017 online application form. The charges may vary depending on the payment option.
From the CLAT Online Application Interface, you will be redirected to a bank you
You will have to login with your bank’s Net banking (or Internet Banking) user ID and
The fee amount and bank charges will be shown to you, and you have to confirm that the
payment is for CLAT- 2017.
Once you confirm, you will be redirected back to the CLAT Online Application Interface.
Step-4: Downloading the Application Form
After CAPS acknowledges the successful payment of the application fee through Online, the
candidate will be able to download the complete filled in application form with fee payment
details in PDF format. This file can be printed for the candidate’s personal records and for further
communications. Print out of the form is not required to be sent to CLAT Office.
On the submission of application form, message will appear that the candidate has successfully
submitted the application for CLAT-2017
The candidate must remember User ID and password, and must login periodically to see
the status of his/ her application, to download the admit card and to know the results later.
He/She is also advised to keep visiting CLAT website for updates and other information.
Document Specifications Photograph Requirements
• The candidates must pay attention to upload good quality photographs. Poor quality of
photographs submitted will lead to rejection of their CLAT application, without any
refund of the application fees. The CLAT admit card and score card will be generated
with the photograph that was submitted along with the application form.
• The photograph must be in colour and must be taken in a professional studio.
• Ask the photo studio to provide the image in a JPEG format and also on a standard 3.5 cm
× 4.5 cm print (Width x Height).
• Maximum pixel resolution for JPEG: 480 x 640 (100 KB) (Ask the studio to reduce it to
this resolution if it is higher).
• File size should be less than or equal to 100 KB
• Minimum pixel resolution for JPEG: 240 x 320.
• Photograph must be taken with white or very light background.
• The photograph must have been taken on or after 30th September 2016.
• In the photograph, the height of the face (between chin and the top of the forehead)
should occupy about 50% of the height of the photograph.
• If the candidate normally wears spectacles, glare on glasses is not acceptable in his/her
photo. Glare can be avoided with a slight downward tilt of the glasses or by removing the
glasses for the photo shoot.
• The candidate must not wear spectacles with dark or tinted glasses, only clear glasses are
• Please draw a rectangular box of size 7 cm × 2 cm (Width x Height) on an A4 white
paper. The candidate should put his/her signature with black or dark blue ink pen within
• Get the signature digitally image scanned by a professional using a scanner, and get the
image cropped to the box by the professional.
• Maintain 420 pixels in width and 120 pixels in height and of maximum 100 KB size.
• Only JPG / JPEG image formats will be accepted.
• The maximum pixel resolution for the image is 560 × 160.
• The minimum pixel resolution for the image is 280 × 80.
• Photographs of the signatures taken using mobile phone or digital cameras are not
acceptable, and can result in disqualification of the application without any refund of the
• For SAP candidates with any category of disability (viz., blindness or low vision, hearing
impairment, locomotor disability, and/or cerebral palsy), benefit will be given to only
those who have at least 40% permanent physical impairment with respect to a body
part/system/extremity/whole body, etc. In order to avail concession under the SAP
category, the candidates should upload a recently obtained valid SAP certificate.
• A SAP candidate, if needed, can take the assistance of a Scribe during the CLAT-2017
examination. Scribe is a person who can assist the SAP candidate by ONLY reading the
instructions and the test paper displayed on the computer screen verbatim, and also in
mouse-clicks, if the candidate is not able to do so. If the scribe is needed, then a SAP
candidate should confirm the requirement of a scribe while filling up the
application. SAP candidates are required to fill in a declaration form from the
Candidates are advised to check that they fulfil eligibility conditions, requisite marks,
requisite grades,etc as stipulated in CLAT rules. CLAT office and organising University
shall not be responsible for any inconvenience or loss caused.
Appearing in CLAT-2017 does not confer on any candidate right to admission.
Admission is subject to verification of documents, minimum qualifications and other
eligibility conditions prescribed in CLAT rules.
For other instructions please refer to e-brochure.