UPSC Civil Service Assamese Syllabus for Main Examination
Answers must be written in Assamese
- History of the origin and development of the Assamese language-its position among the Indo-Aryan Languages-periods in its history.
- Developments of Assamese prose.
- Vowels and consonants of the Assamese languages-rules of phonetic changes with stress on Assamese coming down from Old Indo-Aryan.
- Assamese vocabulary-and its sources.
- Morphology of the language-conjugation-enclitic definitives and pleonastic suffixes.
- Dilectical divergences-the standard colloquial and the Kamrupi dialect in particulars.
- Assamese scripts-its evolution through the ages till 19th century A.D.
Literary Criticism and Literary History
- Principles of Literary criticism up to New criticism.
- Different literary genres.
- Development of literary forms in Assamese.
- Development of literary criticism in Assamese.
- Periods of the literary history of Assam from the earliest beginnings, i.e. from the period of the charyyageets with their socio-cultural background: the proto Assamese-Pre-SankaradevaSankaradeva-post SankaradevaModern period (from the coming of the Britishers)-Post-Independence period. Special emphasis is to be given on the Vaisnavite period, the gonaki and the post-Independence period.
This paper will require first-hand reading of the texts prescribed and will be designed to test the candidates’ critical ability. Answers must be written in Assamese
Ramayana (Ayodhya Kanda only)-by Madhava Kandali.
Rasakrida-by Sankaradeva (From Kirtana Ghosa).
Katha-Bhagavata (Books I and II)-by Baikunthanath Bhattacharyya.
Gurucarit-Katha (Sankaradeva’s Part only)-ed. by Maheswar Neog.
Mor Jeevan Sonwaran-by Lakshminath Bezbaroa.
Kripabar Barbaruar Kakatar Topola-by Lakshminath Bezbaroa.
Pratima-by Chandra Kumar Agarwalla.
Gaonburha-by Padmanath Gohain Barua.
Monamati-by Rajanikanta Bordoloi.
Purani Asamiya Sahitya-by Banikanta Kakati.
Karengar Ligiri-by Jyotiprasad Agarwalla
Jeevanar Batat-by Bina Barwa (Birinchi Kumar Barua)
Samrat-by Navakanta Barua.